Wednesday, June 17, 2009

You'd never know it by this blog but I'm actually pretty quiet in person. I really make up for it in print. Given the length of these entries I'm not sure any will read this. But I will carry on.....

As seen in the Reading List at the bottom of the blog I'm currently reading "God in Search of Man" by Heschel. I realized by page 3 that I should only underline the sentances I don't want to come back and re-read because otherwise I'm underlining almost every word.

He's deadly accurate when it comes to what it is to live in the modern secular world without religion. He says "The Greeks learned in order to comprehend. The Hebrews learned in order to revere. The modern man learns in order to use. To Bacon we owe the formulation "Knowledge is power." This is how people are urged to study: knowledge is success. We do not know any more how to justify in value except in terms of expediency."

More to follow. BTW, tomorrow I'm off to Diversity Advisory Council for my corporation. More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment